Available to all Scouts! And anyone a Scout at heart. Complete the tasks listed below your age group, and you will earn a patch! Patches are only $5! Occasionally we will have special events in which Scouts can earn patches by participating in the activities at FHS.
11-15 years old (2 hours)
- Learn about our pet food pantry – why it is needed? Who it helps? The scouts will help prep bags for our pantry
- Learn about our NLOL program – why it is needed? Who it helps? If timing works, we can have them talk to someone in the program or who was in the program.
- Investigate the different animal organizations in the community – what retention programs can be found in Forsyth County?
- Screening of a relevant documentary with discussion afterwards
- Learn about Bully Breed Myths – to begin shifting misconceptions about Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dobermans, etc.
7-10 years old (1.5 hours)
- Find out how to appropriately interact with dogs from our staff – the child will be know to ask permission before petting a pet, to let the dog sniff their hand before petting and why
- Dangerous Dogs – child will also know what to do if they are in a situation in which a dog is not with its family and is running towards them (when to be a tree or do a tornado drill) and why
- Learn the different postures of a cat or dog – what are they communicating with their bodies
- Learn what pets can eat – make a pet treat to take home to their pet or a friend’s pet
- Learn safe games to play with dogs and cats – goal being to not use their hands as a play toy – to use feathers, bones, squeaky toys instead