Forsyth Humane Society

Forsyth Humane Society is a non-profit animal welfare organization dedicated to enriching our community by promoting the compassionate treatment of cats and dogs. We are committed to: placing cats and dogs into loving homes; advancing community understanding of the benefits of animal companionship; providing needed resources to the pet community; supporting a no-kill adoption center and the spaying/neutering of dogs and cats.

Frequently Asked Questions

I can no longer keep my pet. Can I bring it to the FHS for adoption?

We admit adoptable cats and dogs from a waiting list. In order to place an animal on our waitlist you must reside in Forsyth County. Please visit for details or to begin the surrender process.

How do I qualify for spay and/or neuter assistance?

In order to qualify for free spay/neuter assistance, you must reside in Forsyth County and demonstrate proof of low income. To complete an application visit

My pet is sick or injured. Can I bring it to you?

We do not have a veterinarian on staff; therefore, we can not treat or examine pets here at our adoption center. If you are a low income Forsyth County resident seeking financial assistance for a sick or injured pet that you are or will be responsible for, try The Sergei Foundation,

Do I have to license my pets with the county?

Forsyth County does require both dogs and cats to be licensed. For more information, please contact Animal Control at: (336) 703-2479.

How do I become a foster parent?

We are always looking for fosters. To learn more or to out an application online visit

How long do animals stay up for adoption?

There is no time limit for how long an animal will stay at the Adoption Center.

What do I do if I lost my pet or if I find a lost animal?

Click on the links to read the information on our website: Lost/Missing Pet and Found Pets

How can I make a donation in memory of or in honor of a person or pet?

Memorial/Honorarium contributions can be made in person, by mail, over the phone or online. We will need your name, the person or pet’s name and the name/address of the person to whom you would like us to send an acknowledgement. To make an online donation, please click here.

My neighbor’s dog is severely malnourished. Who should I contact to report this abuse?

For abuse and neglect issues, please contact the Forsyth County Animal Control at 336-703-2490.

How do I make a donation?

A donation can be made by check or credit card through the mail (4881 Country Club, Winston-Salem, NC 27104, online (click here) by credit card or by phone (336-721-1303). We need to know whether the donation is a memorial or honorarium, whether it is a person or pet, the name and address of the person being honored or the name and address of the family member of the deceased person or honored or deceased pet. If giving by credit card via postal mail, please be sure and include your 16 digit credit card number, 4 digit expiration date, name on the card and amount of donation.

Does the FHS provide educational opportunities for the community?

Yes, if interested, please call Beryl Parks at (336) 546-1415, and she will schedule someone to visit your school, daycare, place of worship, civic group or neighborhood association. We have programs from 15 minutes to one hour in length and always bring a couple of well-behaved animals with us (unless requested not to or regulations prevent it). We do not charge a fee for these presentations, however, donations (cash or wish list items) are appreciated.

How long has the Humane Society been in Winston-Salem?

The Forsyth Humane Society was founded in 1941 and is the oldest animal welfare organization in our county.